CENTRAL OFFICE – IT NETWORK TECHNICIAN
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. In addition, they do not establish an employment contract, as employment with Sierra Tel is always at-will.
|REPORTS TO:||Central Office Supervisor – Department 37|
|DEADLINE:||Open Until Filled|
|HOURS:||Full-time work schedule; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position will be required to work overtime as needed. Work schedule will also include assignment to on-call shifts on a rotating basis.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS:||One|
This position is responsible to provide exceptional and reliable network services for the Central Office and maintain the network security, switching and routing of all Central Office Data; including maintenance and operation of Central Office equipment and troubleshooting of all associated equipment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Engineer, install, maintain, configure and/or troubleshoot:
- Routers, switches and wireless networks
- Network security and monitoring infrastructure
- Integrated network managers and equipment management systems
- Metro Ethernet networks and circuits
- Microsoft structured query language (SQL) databases
- Windows, VMWare, and Linux servers
- DSL technologies
- Equipment management systems
- Switching systems
- Optical carrier systems and Fiber optic networks
- Maintain all computers and laptops for Central Office.
- Design, build, and maintain special circuits as requested by customers.
- Provision and maintain Firewalls and Session Border controllers.
- Perform backups on equipment as needed.
- Monitor all alarms in the Central Office; contact appropriate person(s) to address issues as they arise.
- Maintain and upgrade voice mail systems for all customers.
- Upgrade testing equipment as needed.
- Provide on-call coverage on a rotating schedule with the ability to analyze and resolve alarm and trouble reports.
- Provision DSL and POTS services
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Engineer, install, maintain, and/or troubleshoot:
- Power plants
- Remote switching centers
- 48 Volts of Direct Current (VDC) power systems
- Emergency generators and automatic power transfer systems
- Troubleshoot bad circuits related to DSL and POTS.
- Take inventory of all Central Office equipment and order supplies as needed in accordance with established budget and procedures.
- Install and maintain HPBX IP phone system.
- Perform daily and monthly routines to support remote and host Central Office.
- Interface with customers and other departments to implement new services and resolve complaints and troubles.
- Provide additional support as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- S. Degree in an Information Technology field preferred.
- Minimum five years related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Cisco certification or related industry certification is desired.
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable via the Company’s standard auto insurance policy procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of
- Company policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Industry regulations related to telephone and Internet services.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory requirements, rates, taxes, surcharges, tariffs, rules, and policies associated with provision of services.
- Electricity and electronics.
- Cisco networking, UNIX operating systems, Ethernet transport, and fiber optic transmission.
- Skill to
- Proficiently operate general office equipment including personal computer, fax machine and telephone system.
- Proficiently use software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as basic Internet operations.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently read, write, use proper grammar, edit, and proofread.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Use listening and coaching to facilitate positive outcomes of customer concerns.
- Ability to
- Respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Learn and apply new information regarding company products, services, and software applications.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, and use available information to make independent decisions related to specific job duties.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Calmly and professionally work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Attend to detail in all areas of work and maintain consistency of Company image.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Work a flexible schedule including day, evening, overnight, weekend, and holiday hours.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||75 – 100%|
|Standing/Walking||50 – 74%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||25 – 49%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||25 – 49%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||75 – 100%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position is normally indoors in a controlled office environment, and occasionally functions outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The employee may regularly be exposed to diesel and gasoline fumes, airborne particulates, toxic or caustic chemicals, and other hazardous substances.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to vibration.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Local travel may be required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to email@example.com. For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.