CENTRAL OFFICE TECHNICIAN I – DEPARTMENT 37
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. In addition, they do not establish an employment contract, as employment with Sierra Tel is always at-will.
|REPORTS TO:||Central Office Supervisor – Department 37|
|DEADLINE:||Open Until Filled|
|HOURS:||Full-time work schedule; 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position may be required to work overtime as needed. Work schedule may also include assignment to on-call shifts on a rotating basis.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS TO BE FILLED: One|
This position is responsible to provide exceptional and reliable network services and switching services for all customers, including maintenance and operation of Central Office equipment and troubleshooting of Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL).
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- install, maintain, and/or troubleshoot:
- Fiber optic networks
- Switching systems
- Integrated network managers
- DSL technologies
- Equipment management systems
- Optical carrier systems
- Subscriber carrier systems
- Host digital switching systems
- Remote switching centers
- Wireless Networks
- Microsoft structured query language (SQL) databases
- Train to engineer circuits, equipment and other CO related projects.
- Maintain and troubleshoot translations for operator services and switching projects.
- Build circuits and maintain dial tone for Plain Old Telephone Service (POTS).
- Maintain and troubleshoot special circuits as requested by customers.
- Monitor all alarms in the Central Office; contact appropriate person(s) to address issues as they arise.
- Maintain all computers and laptops for Central Office.
- Maintain and upgrade voice mail systems for all customers.
- Perform backups on equipment as needed.
- Upgrade testing equipment as needed.
- Provide on-call coverage on a rotating schedule with the ability to analyze and resolve alarm and trouble reports.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Install, maintain, and/or troubleshoot:
- Power plants
- Remote switching centers
- 48 Volts of Direct Current (VDC) power systems
- Emergency generators and automatic power transfer systems
- Troubleshoot bad circuits related to DSL and POTS.
- Take inventory of all Central Office equipment and order supplies as needed in accordance with established budget and procedures.
- Install and maintain HPBX IP phone system.
- Firewalls and Session Border controllers.
- Perform daily and monthly routines to support remote and host Central Office.
- Interface with customers and other departments to implement new services and resolve complaints and troubles.
- Provide additional support as needed.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) required.
- Minimum 1 year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable with the Company’s standard auto insurance policy.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of
- Company policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Industry regulations related to telephone, and Internet.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory requirements, rates, taxes, surcharges, tariffs, rules, and policies associated with provision of services.
- Electricity and electronics.
- Networking, UNIX operating systems, Ethernet transport, and fiber optic transmission.
- Skill to
- Proficiently operate general office equipment including personal computer, fax machine, and telephone system.
- Proficiently use software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as basic Internet operations.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently read, write, use proper grammar, edit, and proofread.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Use listening and coaching to facilitate positive outcomes of customer concerns.
- Ability to
- Respond effectively to inquiries or complaints.
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Learn and apply new information regarding company products, services, and software applications.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, and use available information to make independent decisions related to specific job duties.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Calmly and professionally work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Attend to detail in all areas of work and maintain consistency of Company image.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Work a flexible schedule including day, evening, overnight, weekend, and holiday hours.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||75 – 100%|
|Standing/Walking||50 – 74%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||25 – 49%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||25 – 49%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||75 – 100%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position is normally indoors in a controlled office environment, and occasionally functions outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The employee may regularly be exposed to diesel and gasoline fumes, airborne particulates, toxic or caustic chemicals, and other hazardous substances.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to vibration.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Local travel may be required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to email@example.com. For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.