GIS ENGINEERING SPECIALIST
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. In addition, they do not establish an employment contract, as employment with Sierra Tel is always at-will.
|REPORTS TO:||Outside Plant Engineering Supervisor|
|DEADLINE:||Open Until Filled|
|HOURS:||Full-time work schedule; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position may be required to work overtime as needed.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS:||One|
The primary responsibility of this position is to participate in the building and maintaining of an accurate and fully functional telecommunications network. Using Geographical Information System (GIS) software, the Specialist will design fiber network and assist with assigning copper and fiber for service orders. Additional responsibilities include; 1)working with various departments to gather and provide information regarding telecommunication service requests, 2) helping make updates and revisions to schematics, and 3) entering work order information into various permanent records used by the Company. (These records include but are not limited to cable schematics, splicing diagrams, manhole diagrams, area maps, and other GIS data.)
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assign fiber to service orders, both Passive Optical Network (PON) and Active Ethernet Services as well as design and maintain fiber rings.
- Assign cable pairs for new installations and verify existing assignments on reconnects and disconnects.
- Assign Ethernet services.
- Maintain line assignment.
- Maintain plant records and mapping.
- Provide data plots and fill requests for data as requested.
- Assist with changes in GIS data through daily Operations Support System (OSS) reports.
- Update Line Equipment Number (LEN) records
- Assist engineers with cable counts on work orders and line extensions.
- Review and verify cable records.
- Perform cuts, record work, and change all records to determine new services.
- Assist Customer Care representatives as needed.
- Assist Facilities Services with cable and record information on repairs and installations.
- Assist with the interpretation of all pertinent information on drawings and transfer (or “post”) to permanent records including cable schematics, splicing diagrams, staking sheets, and area maps in both digital and printed form. Apply Rural Utilities Service (RUS) specifications regarding the posting of all work orders.
- Assist with work for field collection employees from OSS reports.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Maintain proficiency with AutoCAD and OSS mapping software.
- Maintain proficiency with cable count sequencing, cable schematic maintenance, and cable books to maintain GIS cable counts and associated records.
- Maintain proficiency with load spacing, loop calculations and carrier boundary placement.
- Maintain proficiency with database quality assurance procedures and techniques.
- Maintain proficiency in address reconciliation by interfacing with Customer Service and County Assessor departments.
- Proactively identify and participate in educational opportunities in accordance with Company procedures.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED) preferred.
- Two year minimum related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable via Sierra Tel’s standard auto insurance policy procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of
- Company policies, procedures, products and services.
- Industry regulations related to telephone and Internet.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory requirements and policies associated with provision of services.
- Skill to
- Proficiently operate general office equipment including personal computer and telephone system.
- Proficiently use software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as basic Internet operations.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently read, write, use proper grammar, edit, and proofread.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Analyze and solve problems related to specific job tasks.
- Use listening and coaching to facilitate positive outcomes of customer concerns.
- Ability to
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Learn and apply new information regarding company products, services, and software applications.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, and use available information to make independent decisions related to specific job duties.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Calmly and professionally work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Attend to detail in all areas of work and maintain consistency of Company image.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Represent the Company at community events when requested.
- Travel for Company events or customer needs when requested.
- Maintain reliable attendance and abide by company procedures for schedule adjustments.
- Develop and maintain proficiency with:
- Rural Utilities Service (RUS) Outside Plant units, construction, and splicing.
- Trimble Navigation Collection and Post processing products.
- Operations Support System (OSS) software products.
- Year End Reports and spatially generated reporting.
- Parcel Quest software and general real property concepts.
- Master Address and Range Guide (MAR) and Master Street Address Guide (MSAG) addressing databases.
- Other hardware and software products for data maintenance.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||75 – 100%|
|Standing/Walking||0 – 24%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||0 – 24%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||0 – 24%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||75 – 100%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position functions both indoors in a controlled office environment and outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Local travel is required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to email@example.com. For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.