JUNIOR CONSTRUCTION TECHNICIAN
|REPORTS TO:||Construction Supervisor|
|DEADLINE||Open until filled|
|HOURS:||Full-time work schedule; “Construction Winter Schedule” (Pacific Standard Time) 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (eight hours), Monday through Friday, “Construction Summer Schedule” (Pacific Daylight Saving Time) 6:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (ten hours) Monday through Thursday. This position may be required to work overtime including weekends and evenings as needed.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS TO BE FILLED: Two|
This position is responsible for assisting with the various activities associated with the construction of telephone Outside Plant facilities, completed in the safest and most efficient manner.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Assist construction crew with the following:
- Drive different vehicles to many job locations.
- Pothole existing underground utilities to confirm location of actual utility by hand-digging or using a pothole vacuum machine.
- Operate equipment and hand tools associated with construction work.
- Place pedestals, pull boxes, cables, and conduits in open trenches according to engineering drawings and Company procedures and quality standards.
- Tow equipment trailer safely to and from jobsite.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or General Education Development (GED) desirable.
- One year related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience in underground construction-related activities desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable via the Company’s standard auto insurance policy procedures.
- Must be able to obtain a Class A commercial driver’s license prior to completion of the second calendar year of employment.
- Must have the ability to effectively operate a manual transmission vehicle.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Skill to
- Use standard software programs, including basic Internet operations.
- Operate and care for light equipment in a safe and efficient manner; apply preventative maintenance principles and methods.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Analyze and solve problems related to specific job tasks.
- Proficiently use various hand tools and digging equipment.
- Excavate buried facilities using a shovel, pick, digging bar, pneumatic jackhammer, or other devices that might be required to complete the project.
- Read cable schematics, splice diagrams, and construction staking sheets.
- Ability to
- Maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Calmly and professionally work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Learn additional Company software applications.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Meet deadlines and function under emergency repair conditions.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||50 – 74%|
|Standing/Walking||50 – 74%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||50 – 74%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||50 – 74%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||50 – 74%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 75 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- The employee is occasionally required to work in areas of uneven ground.
- The employee may be required to drive up to one hour to a job site.
- The employee must be able to reach above and below shoulder-level.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position regularly functions outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The employee may regularly be exposed to diesel and gasoline fumes, airborne particulates, toxic or caustic chemicals, and other hazardous substances.
- The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and is occasionally exposed to vibration.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Because of the use of heavy equipment, hearing protection is advisable and may be required.
- Safety glasses may be required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Employment Application may be found on the Company website). For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.
This institution is an equal opportunity provider and employer.