SENIOR OUTSIDE PLANT FACILITIES ENGINEER
NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. In addition, they do not establish an employment contract, as employment with Sierra Tel is always at-will.
|REPORTS TO:||Outside Plant Engineering Supervisor|
|DEADLINE:||Open until filled|
|HOURS:||Full-time work schedule; 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position may be required to work overtime as needed.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS TO BE FILLED: One|
This position is responsible to research, design, and coordinate to final completion the installation and/or rearrangement of all Outside Plant cable and electronic facilities. The position will design circuits to meet transmission requirements of the Company and industry standards, and will correct existing voice and data circuits that do not meet standards. The employee must apply sound economical, construction and engineering principles, including Rural Utilities Services (RUS) standards, in the best interests of the Company and the customer.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Research plant records and field conditions to determine present and future needs for cable and electronic facilities.
- Calculate transmission design in existing and new facilities for voice and data circuits by applying Company and industry standards. This includes calculating estimated loss measurements, loading and de-loading cable pairs as appropriate and rearranging serving area boundaries.
- Prepare work order documents with explicit detailed drawings and schematics including construction methods, materials, and costing.
- Process necessary documents to complete line extensions, repair cable, and service drop troubles.
- Inspect completed projects and approve “as-builts” for conformance to industry and the Company standards. If needed, arrange for corrections with Senior Right of Way Agent or Construction Department.
- For each project, prepare necessary correspondence to public and private entities concerning the mutual agreement of facilities to be installed.
- Utilize Computer Aided Drafting (CAD) and Global Positioning System (GPS) software for layout, design, and recordkeeping of Outside Plant facilities.
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Along with Senior Right of Way Agent, research right-of-way to determine the best locations of all proposed utilities.
- Along with Senior Right of Way Agent, initiate contact with public and private entities concerning physical plant locations or relocations. Secure all necessary documents and permits required to complete the project.
- Proactively identify and participate in educational opportunities in accordance with Company procedures.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree preferred.
- Five years minimum Outside Plant Engineering experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable via the Company’s standard auto insurance policy procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of
- Company policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Industry regulations related to telephone, Internet, and alarm services.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory requirements and policies associated with provision of services.
- Skill to
- Design Ethernet circuits and produce associated documents.
- Proficiently operate general office equipment including personal computer, fax machine, and telephone system.
- Proficiently use software programs including Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook, as well as basic Internet operations.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently read, write, use proper grammar, edit, and proofread.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Analyze and solve problems related to specific job tasks.
- Use listening and coaching to facilitate positive outcomes of customer concerns.
- Ability to
- Interpret prints received from outside agencies.
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Learn and apply new information regarding Company products, services, and software applications.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Work independently with minimal supervision, and use available information to make independent decisions related to specific job duties.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Calmly and professionally, work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Attend to detail in all areas of work and maintain consistency of Company image.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Represent the Company at community events when requested.
- Travel for Company events or customer needs when requested.
- Maintain reliable attendance and abide by company procedures for schedule adjustments.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||75 – 100%|
|Standing/Walking||50 – 74%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||25 – 49%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||0 – 24%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||75 – 100%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Walking and/or hiking extended distances through uneven terrain including thick brush and poison oak may be required occasionally.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position functions both indoors in a controlled office environment and outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The employee may be exposed to diesel and gasoline fumes, airborne particulates, toxic or caustic chemicals, and other hazardous substances.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Local travel is required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to email@example.com. For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.