NOTE: These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this position, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list. In addition, they do not establish an employment contract, as employment with Sierra Tel is always at-will.
|REPORTS TO:||Facilities Services Supervisor|
|DEADLINE:||Open Until Filled|
|HOURS:||Regular office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. This position may be required to work overtime as needed, and will be assigned to on- call shifts on a rotating basis.|
|NUMBER OF POSITIONS TO BE FILLED: Three|
This position, under the supervision and guidance of an experienced technician, is responsible for laying out assigned jobs while completing duties in a safe and efficient manner. The Universal Technician will coordinate with other departments to maintain smooth operations.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Splice, maintain, rearrange, terminate, and troubleshoot new and existing buried and aerial copper and fiber optic cable.
- Locate underground copper and fiber optic cable.
- Install and repair telephone equipment at customers’ premises.
- Locate and/or excavate buried cable for restoration.
- Hook up interface and ensure proper function of phone lines.
- Complete documentation and records of service calls and work orders in a thorough and timely manner.
- Assist other technicians with Digital Subscriber Lines (DSL).
- Regular and predictable on-site attendance is an essential function of the job.
OTHER RELATED JOB FUNCTIONS
- Perform on-call emergency functions as needed (i.e. cutting fiber network down).
- Perform other duties as needed.
Education and/or Experience
- High school diploma or General Education Degree (GED).
- Previous experience in telecommunications preferred.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- Must have a valid Class C California driver’s license with a minimum of three years of driving experience.
- Driving experience must have occurred after having passed a traffic laws and signs test.
- If relocating to California from another state or country, must have, at a minimum, a valid driver’s license issued by the home state equivalent to a California Class C. The employee will be required to obtain a California driver’s license within ten days.
- Must be insurable via the Company’s standard auto insurance policy procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of
- Company policies, procedures, products, and services.
- Industry regulations related to telephone and Internet.
- Federal Communications Commission (FCC) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) regulatory requirements and policies associated with provision of services.
- USDA – Rural Utilities Service (RUS) standards.
- Basic electrical concepts.
- Skill to
- Use various hand tools.
- Excavate, splice, and terminate Outside Plant cables.
- Work with small wires and mechanical components.
- Maintain cable components and troubleshoot Outside Plant facilities.
- Perform basic math calculations.
- Effectively communicate with customers and coworkers in English, verbally and in writing.
- Proficiently read, write, use proper grammar, edit, and proofread.
- Plan and organize multiple tasks under deadline pressure.
- Analyze and solve problems related to specific job tasks.
- Ability to
- Adapt to changes in procedures and responsibilities.
- Function under emergency repair conditions.
- Learn and apply new information regarding Company products, services, and software applications.
- Project a professional image in conduct, attire, grooming, and manner of speech.
- Maintain the highest degree of confidentiality regarding customer and Company information.
- Establish and maintain empathy with all types of customers.
- Maintain paperwork in a neat, organized manner.
- Calmly and professionally, work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Attend to detail in all areas of work and maintain consistency of Company image.
- Follow instructions completely and accurately.
- Travel for Company events or customer needs when requested.
- Maintain reliable attendance and abide by Company procedures for schedule adjustments.
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
|Seeing: must be able to read a computer screen and paper documents.||75 – 100%|
|Hearing: must be able to hear well enough to communicate in person and over the telephone with customers, coworkers, and industry contacts.||75 – 100%|
|Standing/Walking||50 – 74%|
|Climbing/Stooping/Kneeling||75 – 100%|
|Lifting/Pulling/Pushing||75 – 100%|
|Fingering/Grasping/Feeling: must be able to write, type, and use phone system.||75 – 100%|
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Walking and/or hiking extended distances through uneven terrain including thick brush and poison oak will be required occasionally.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
Safety is an integral part of our business and the responsibility for safety extends to every employee. Your responsibility toward safety at the workplace includes, but is not limited to:
- Proactive involvement in the Company’s Safety Program, including compliance with all rules and regulations.
- Use safe work practices while performing all duties.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The position functions both indoors in a controlled office environment and outdoors with exposure to inclement weather.
- The employee may be exposed to diesel and gasoline fumes, airborne particulates, toxic or caustic chemicals, and other hazardous substances.
- The employee may be exposed to the risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- Local travel is required.
Please submit a resume or application and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. For faster response, please include the job title in the subject line of your email. For additional information, call 559-642-0200.
This position is open until filled.