New 350 Area Code
New 350 area code to be added to 209 Area Code Region
To ensure a continuing supply of phone numbers, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) has approved an area code overlay for the 209 area code region. The new 350 area code will be added to the existing 209 area code region, which serves all or portions of Alameda, Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, Eldorado, Fresno, Madera, Mariposa, Merced, Sacramento, San Joaquin, Stanislaus, and Tuolumne counties, as well as Yosemite National Park.
All current customers in this region will keep their 209 area code and phone number. The 350 area code may be assigned by some providers to new telephone customers or those adding additional lines.
FAQ on the Area Code
Will I need to change anything?
No, this area code overlay does not require you to change your existing area code or phone number, or how you dial your calls. You will continue to dial 1+10 digits (area code + phone number) for all local calls, as you do today, within and between the 209 and 350 area codes. Cellular phone customers will continue to dial either 10 digits or 1+10 digits.
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number, including the current area code.
- The price of a call, coverage area, or other rates and services.
- What is a local call now will remain a local call.
- You will continue to dial 1+10 digits for local calls within and between the overlay area codes, and 1+10 digits for long distance calls.
- You can still dial just three digits to reach 911 and 988, as well as 211, 311, 411, 511, 611, 711, or 811 if those are currently available in your community.
- Sierra Telephone will continue to issue local phone numbers with the 209 area code: 209-742-xxxx and 209-966-xxxx.
How can I get more information?
If you have any questions regarding this area code overlay, please call Sierra Tel at 1-209-966-3636. The California Public Utilities Commission’s website at www.cpuc.ca.gov/209areacode also has more details including the 209 area code map.